1. Start the morning with activities that nourish you. Devote time first thing in the morning to do routines, which will help you set a positive tone for the whole day. Feed your mind, body, and spirit with exercise, meditation, yoga, and a healthy breakfast.
2. Take stretch breaks. Stretching does a body good. Make a habit of getting out of your office chair, out from behind the computer, and onto your feet for regular stretching throughout the day. Your body (and mind) will thank-you! Studies show individuals who take regular movement breaks are more productive than those who push through the day without breaks. As well, stretching helps you to increase blood flow, relieve muscular tension, and dissipate stress.
3. Eat healthy. Go for the green! Please your palate and your health with delicious greens. Make green juices, eat green side dishes, or make green the focus of your entire meal. Kales, collards, spinach, broccoli, string beans, Brussels sprouts, peas, asparagus… the list goes on. Make a point of eating at least one green thing a day.
4. Cultivate patience. Master the art of energy management. Stuck in traffic, waiting for an appointment, or running behind schedule? Before you go into reactive behaviors such as honking your horn or berating yourself to hurry up, take a moment to ease your own stress. Take a deep breath. Encourage yourself to appreciate a slower pace. Patience is a virtue, and it can be cultivated.
5. Take naps. I think Robert Fulghum, author of “All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten,” was really onto to something when he said, “Take a nap every afternoon.” Naps aren’t just for cats. They are for you and me. Give yourself permission to slow down, listen to your body, and replenish your energy. Catnaps can boost your brain power and improve your mental outlook. Famous catnapper’s include John F. Kennedy, Ronald Reagan, and Florence Nightingale.
Do you have a favorite way you like to create daily wellness? How do you stay on track with your daily wellbeing? Share your thoughts and tips below.