I like to take periodic mini-vacations, in the comfort of my own home, where I can reflect on what is most important to me. Like an afternoon cat, I like to curl up on my favorite sunny pillows, stretch out, lay back and relax into thoughtful reverie. Purposeful living requires regular time-outs to take inventory of how time is being utilized. When is the last time your took a personal purposeful living inventory?
In this time, I ask myself a series of guiding questions to determine if I am spending my time aligned with my higher self or if I have I slipped back into habitual habits such as people pleasing, over working and over scheduling.
I reflect on how much fun, joy and celebration I feel in my daily life versus obligation, pressure and stress. I aim to live a life where my joy meter is full on a regular basis. Financial success, in my book, is equally measured with laughter, fun and affection. If I discover pressure and stress outweighing fun and joy it is time to make some life changes. Purposeful living requires conscious redirection over and over.
Where are you at? Have you taken time for contemplation recently? Where is your joy meter? Is your tank full or empty? Does fun and celebration outweigh stress and obligation in your life? Here are a few questions to help you on your contemplative journey.
1. Do you the end a day of work feeling more or less alive?
2. Do you find it easy to smile?
3. How often do you laugh in a day?
4. Do you forget to breathe?
5. Are you constantly rushing?
6. Would you do what you were doing professionally even if you weren’t paid?
7. Do you say no when you need to?
8. Do you know and enforce healthy boundaries for yourself?
9. When is the last time you took an afternoon off to relax and do nothing?
10. Do you ask for help when you need it?
Give yourself the gift of an inner journey and time for self-reflection. Measure your success in smiles, laughter and loving connections often. Schedule your self-care as one of your top priorities. Contemplate making the necessary changes to bring your joy levels and stress levels back in balance.