1. Stop – Take three deep sighs. As you release your sigh make an audible “AHHHHH” sound. The conscious use of sound creation creates wellness in your body. Release anger and frustration through this simple vocalization and get the chaos out of your body.
2. Breathe – Take a deep breath. Fill your belly like a balloon when you breathe in. Exhale and deflate your belly pulling it flat against your spine. Breathe at a slow steady pace. Strengthen your exhale, making it longer than your inhale. Repeat until your breathing is steady, slow, quiet, and regular. Practice for 5 minutes.
3. Visualize – Visualize images, colors, and natural settings, which promote a sense of calm in your body. Serene lakes, turquoise seas, and rolling hillsides help to create a feeling of expansiveness and freedom. Imagine majestic oaks or picturesque mountain ranges to help you feel grounded. Picture healing colors cocooning you in light and surrounding your body. My favorite color cocoons are violet, emerald, and fuschia. Choose your own color. Your imagination is a powerful tool.
4. Listen – Listen to music that relaxes you. Metallica or Mozart, music brings you into the present moment, relieves stress, and effectively moves emotions. Choose your genre. As Martin Luther said, “Beautiful music is the art of the prophets that can calm the agitations of the soul; it is one of the most magnificent and delightful presents God has given us.”
5. Play – A joyful cure for chaos. Pets are the perfect playmates. Run your dog, snuggle your cat, or visit a bunny at the pet store. Engage in sports, games, and recreation. Get your heart pumping and your blood moving.
6. Unplug – Get out into nature. Explore the outdoors and unplug from technology. Howl at the moon, gaze at the stars, and observe the sunset. Take a break from your email inbox, Twitter feed, and Facebook fan page.
7. Surrender – Let go of control. Allow life to flow. For a moment, forget your plans. Replace rigidity with flexibility. Anticipate things going better than you expected. Affirm your life is unfolding for the highest possible good.
Practice these seven tips on a regular basis to help you move from chaos to calm.